Freitag, 1. Mai 2009

From the country of the pharaohes

Hello everybodyyyyy!
Lets give you the most important key data first: I finished university successfully, left Muenster, did a 10-day Vipassana course, flew to Cairo last Monday. And here I am: Cairo, Egypt.
So what are my first impressions? I am back in another type of live, where regularity and cleanliness of a well organized daily live gets washed away in a couple of minutes. Instead of that, there is a feeling of penetrating virgin soil and being left to the mercy and the good will of the creator working his way to the surface of my consciousness. It is not tasting too bad this feeling. Actually it carries the taste of dust and car tyres. It manifests itself on the front teeth. That is not really a fancy taste at first, but it wont stop me from friendly smiling at the people I meet. Some other travel insight reappeared in my mind already, too: Sometimes you get a good deal, sometimes your deal is bad. But even that didn’t cost me my smile.
Just for the log: so far I have been sitting in some of the most important mosques, went to the Gizeh pyramids yesterday, marveled at the breathtaking handcrafts of Tutankhamun and the exaggerated deity cult that was practiced along the Nile. Tomorrow a 4 hour bus trip will take me to experience something completely different to this pulsing, honking life in Cairo: Silence. It is not that you cant find silence anywhere in Cairo. Actually wherever you find a minaret tower you find a place of silence and contemplativeness. The good thing is that anyone can go inside there and make use of silence and contemplativeness. That is different to what I remember from morocco. The place of silence I will be going to is the desert. The Libyan Desert to be precise.
As this is the first mail for a long time I leave it here. I myself have to get used to blog writing – and you have to get used to blog reading :)

Till soon! MIKE

Keine Kommentare: