Montag, 18. Februar 2008

Rio blows your sorrows away

Just in case the last Blog was too melancholic: it is over now. The reason is a city called Rio de Janeiro. Definitely a place that blows your sorrows away. The only worries that might come up are about money. Staying in Rio can be costly. That was the main reason I left this city after my mate Alex had flown out about a week ago. I took the chances and went to a near by island, called Ilha Grande (the big Island). Nice place but hell a lot of touristy. Besides the beautiful but costly hostels there are campgrounds there too. That keeps the bill down especially if you stay almost a week as I did. At the end that part worked out all right for me as I swopped my tent for the lodgment bill. That way I changed 7500 chilean Pesos for 75 brazilian Reais (if that is a good rate or not, calculate a bit or ask my friend Sean Kaine J).

But let’s get back to Rio for instance. The lifestyle of the cariocas is just too laid back, man! They have one of the greatest beaches just within the city. And the bubbling live everywhere beyond the sand is just amazing. On Sundays for example the main street running along Copacabana beach gets shut down. But that doesn’t mean you can walk or cycle on the street easily. Because then the street gets filled up with locals and tourists. Artists, sportsmen and women as well as people that won’t fit in any category compose the picture. Loud music, alcohol and moist heat that sends you into the sea. Catch some waves even without a surfboard (the swell is just beautiful) that will chill you down and make you go again. Back into the crowd.

This is already my second time in Rio as I mentioned before. First time with Alex and the second after my escape to the Ilha Grande.

On that island I made the best of my time and the weather. I hiked, swam and made mew frieds in the meantime. My intended mental preparation for what is coming up next on the agenda was heavily flanked a young brazilian family, neighbours in the camping and one of them new friends. After my internship in Santiago I once again became the tio, the uncle. The young family’s kids felt pretty attached to me (and likewise).

Sun was burning, I was sweating and the days flew by like nothing.

So my second stop in Rio de Janeiro is for another (and last) internship. This time is as a server in a Vipassana 10-day retreat. Before starting on Wednesday I spend some more days here in the lively city. Thanks to a hiking mate, lodging is free this time. In Diego and Ana’s place I accidentally showed up right at the Sunday family lunch. The only effect that had was that I had to go thru starter, main course and dessert with them. Jummy!

The preview: Wednesday Vipassana starts in the north of Rio way out of town (sure – on the beaches and in the city there is little time for introspective and tranquility) and within 2 weeks when the course end I will call again. That will then probably be the last blog for this trip. I hope spring shows up in Germany in March; however I will.

So take care and be happy.

Till soon.

Yours MIKE