Sonntag, 23. Oktober 2011

Equinox

Roughly a month ago it happened again. The sun passed over the equator in its yearly transit between the tropics and caused the day to be as long as the night, called equinox. For the northern hemisphere that was once again the starting point of autumn. High up in the polar circle the polar bear is deprived of daylight and goes into hibernation.
I cannot really say that the sun is vanishing from my sight and I also don’t feel like an inhabitant of the polar circle. However, lately I share the desire to hibernate with the polar bear. Similar to the sun that has passed the earthly equator; I have passed the timely equator of my stay in the indian-paquistani border region, a desert called Cholistan. The time of my contribution is running increasingly shorter, likewise the daylight in the northern hemisphere.
The metaphoric comparison between the course of the sun and my stay in Pakistan is maybe due to all the sun I have experienced in this place throughout this summer. My whole life I have liked the sun and the warmth but this last summer was a borderline experience in this respect. I can now completely understand that there are people in the world who talk of „beautiful weather“ when the day is overcast with no sun to be seen or when it is raining.
Honestly, I cannot remember when it was that I wrote the last blog. But I do know that the time flies by when we have got to accomplish a lot of things. Writing a blog is always time and energy consuming. That again was rarely spare in the last months. I appreciate none of you tried to push me – although sometimes everybody needs a little push.
What did actually happen since the last blog?
I have been to the desert twice. That is from my private perspective the most remarkable event. The dunes are only some 25 km to the east from where I am living. It is a desert of bushes, herbs and yellow sand. Most impressive to me is the silence you can observe there. The change of colors at the time of sunset is about as impressive – a shift from pale colors and dazzling brightness to a honey-like coloring and a quickly ceasing of illumination.
The excursions to the desert with my colleagues are a welcome change to the daily routine and a coping strategy as well.

It is too early really to reminisce and draw conclusions. However, I can already point out that the time in Pakistan has been an instructive experience – professionally and privately. I gained experiences and insights of the work of NGOs in this sector in general. I learnt a lot about my own abilities and talents – and about scarcity and deprivation. I am of the opinion that every experience has the potential to being a good experience. Because it teaches you a lesson, that matures you and helps you to move forward in your life.

Till soon! M