Dienstag, 18. März 2008

Something ends, something new begins


The retreat has ended some time ago. I am sorry for coming back to you just now. But as it was the last few days of my trip I preferred enjoying myself rather than writing.
I am back. I do not say “I am home” because I learnt that for me home can be everywhere. Whenever I felt good on this trip (and former trips) I was "home"; even though I was abroad.
But let’s get back to the silent retreat. For me it was not that silent as I was the cook. We were three in total. And everybody was everything: dish-washer and chef at the same time. To those of you who knew me when I was a waiter, it might sound strange that I could possibly work as a cook. But it is actually true. I fixed meals for 60 persons, 10 days in a row. In two occasions I was even a snake tamer.
From Rio I went to Paraty which is situated between Rio and Sao Paulo. I wanted to visit a school I had heard of. Somehow I am taken with the kids. It came in handy that the cute little coastal town is a turisty spot with beautiful beaches and a picturesque historic center. I might do another internship there in the future.
As i have serious work waiting back "home" in my cosy little study town in Germany, I had to head to Sao Paulo - a not-so-small city (10 Mio. in the city and another 8 Mio. in the outskirts). A caotic traffic situation that is without comparison! I left Sao Paulo via New York and got back to Frankfurt/Germany. All of a sudden the trip had come to an end. Not unexpected but somehow unreal. A cold wind blew into my face, letting me know that I am back. Good Day northern hemisphere! Suddenly traffic lights and white lines drawn on the ground where again highly respected and not mere suggestions.
So what have I learnt in the last 6 months (as travelling without learning means merely contributing to environmental pollution - drastically speaking) ?
Many new friendships I made confirmed me that friendship is universal and omnipresent. Some of them, so I am sure, can survive the ravages of time. Hereby they are about to become jewels of the treasure chamber that is my heart.
What I have learnt concerning my professional future is, metaforically speaking, that I gathered some more tesseras. The mosaic as a whole is just getting composed and I can’t yet see the picture as a whole (sounds like a nice excuse and a way not to say "I dont know" - but it is actually not!).
For what else I have lernt “clear sight” is the insight. What I am talking about is the awareness that a more laid back way of living is possible and desirable (it is really possible - ask the latinos J ).
In the meditation retreat we were tought the buddhist world outlook. for them everything is in permanent transition and nothing is forever. I can easily agree to that understanding of the World as it is also my understanding. My interpretation of this is, that I should try and live more equanimously.
The only question is, if I can still live that insight once I am back in daily live? It is kind of hard not to get stressed out when your mind doesn’t know a place to rest. How can you live the day (carpe diem) when all around you the achievement is the only thing that counts? I will try not to use the word "society" in this context (and somehow I just did it). The good thing about travelling is that it makes you sort of detached from a certain society. In this sense travelling always educates and teaches you.
What concerns Meditation, I think that is something everybody has his own ideas of it. What I think is doubtless, is that everyone needs some kind of spiritual equation. Some play sports, others use TV, etc. However I think that the adequate meditation (there is a whole potpourri of different meditations) is more effective. But that is the decision of oneself. Real important to me at the end of my trip and at the end of this blog is that each and everyone of you: MAY BE HAPPY AND LIVE PEACEFUL (with every being and with yourself!).
Thanks for sharing this trip with me! Yours MIKE